Thank you to all that attended. You were part of the solution. Thanks to all the donors, sponsors, and Veterans!
- Thank you for everyone attending the third Annual Cigars for Vets Events. This year we were able to help more Veterans in Sarasota and Charlotte County than ever before. In about 11 to 20% of veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars (Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom) have been diagnosed with PTSD. 30% of soldiers develop mental problems within 3 to 4 months of being home.
Currently, Both active duty service members and veterans face barriers to treatment for mental health issues. Some of the barriers veterans face, are
- Personal embarrassment about service related mental disabilities
- Long wait times to receive mental health treatment
- Shame over needing to seek mental health treatment
- Fear of being seen as weak
- Stigma associated with mental health issues
- A lack of understanding or lack of awareness about mental health
problems and treatment options
- Logistical problems, such as long travel distances in order to receive this type of care
- Concerns over the veteran mental health treatment offered by the VA
- Demographic barriers and false perceptions based on these demographics such as age or gender
We have been offering in house counseling to help reduce the shame and stigma of mental health services. So thank you for being part of the solution. First I would like to thank our Veterans for their Service without them we would not be smoking a cigar right now. Second, I would like to thank Maduro’s Cigar for Sponsoring this event for the third time. We greatly appreciate everything everyone has done for us so we can better serve the Veterans.